Top tips on how to keep your cool in a heatwave
KEEP THE HEAT OUT
1. When operating air con or a fan, make sure you keep all windows shut and block any draughts, especially under doors.
2. Wear loose fitting clothing, preferably made of natural fibres such as cotton. Lighter colours are also better in the heat as darker ones tend to absorb the warmth.
GET IN THE SHADE
3. If you have windows that let the sun stream in – especially north facing – make sure you shade them on a hot day. These are your best friends in the middle of winter to welcome in the warmth, but having a blind or shutter in the summer will help keep temperatures down.
4. Insulation is as effective as keeping the heat out, in summer, as it is at keeping the heat in, in winter. With insulation in the ceiling, wall and under floor the average Australian households could save up to $450* per year on energy bills – helping you to keep comfortable and save money.
LOOK AFTER YOUR AIR CON
5. Make sure you are up to date with general maintenance on air conditioning units, such as making sure the filters are clean, makes them hugely more effective. It also helps to keep them out of direct sunlight.
*Households with insulation in the ceilings, wall and floors can save up to $450 per year on their electricity bills. UTS, 2014.